The Citadel requires that the following guidelines be met for a course to be accepted for transfer credit:
- A course must be taken at an accredited institution.
- There must be a comparable course offered by The Citadel.
- A grade of “C-” or better must be earned.
- Credit hour value of transfer courses must be equal to or greater than The Citadel course for which substitution is sought; however, credits transferred will not exceed those of The Citadel equivalent.
- Courses previously passed at The Citadel are not acceptable for transfer.
- Permission to take approved course(s) does not waive residency requirements at The Citadel, specifically:
- One-half of all credits applied toward a degree must be earned at The Citadel.
- 30 of the last 37 hours must be obtained at The Citadel and these hours must be earned within 5 years of the date of graduation.
- No more than four courses and their associated labs totaling not more than 14 credit hours (2 courses each summer term) may be transferred for summer sessions. No more than one course totaling three credit hours may be transferred during Maymester. Any exception to the number of hours that may be earned during a summer session or to the total number of hours that may be earned during summer school must be approved by the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs.
- Quality points do not transfer, thus your GPR is not affected by courses taken at other colleges.
- A signed transient form must be submitted to The Office of the Registrar prior to taking courses at another college.
- The Citadel will accept no transfer credits earned while a student is on academic or conduct discharge or while conduct charges are pending.
How to determine if a course is pre-approved to transfer to The Citadel
The South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center (SC TRAC) is a resource that helps students transfer between South Carolina colleges and universities: www.sctrac.org or mobile app Academic GPS. For course equivalencies in and outside of S.C., visit www.collegetransfer.net.
Please visit the appropriate website above and follow the instructions below:
- At the top of the page, click on the ‘Search’ tab
- Scroll down to ‘Search for Course Equivalencies’
- Transfer FROM College= college where you want to take courses; the college you are looking for will display if there are pre-approved courses for transfer
- Transfer TO College=The Citadel
- Click on ‘Search’ and the pre-approved courses will show
Courses with equivalencies on the website(s) above do not require department approval. If the course is not pre-approved for transfer, then you must obtain a copy of the FROM College’s course description (found in their school’s course catalog) and get it approved by the appropriate department head here at The Citadel. This form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for final approval. You will be given a copy to take to the other college/university.
Important Tips about Transferring Courses
- Students who are not maintaining the minimum GPR for continuance must take coursework at The Citadel. See current catalog for GPR requirements.
- You must request that an official transcript from the other college/university be sent directly to The Citadel Registrar’s Office. Credit will not be awarded until the official transcript is received. Hand delivered transcripts or grade reports cannot be accepted.
- When selecting another college/university, make sure you know whether it is on a semester or quarter hour system. One quarter hour does not equal one semester hour.