For Your Safety
We look forward to having family and friends on campus for our commencement events. It is very important to us that these ceremonies are conducted in settings that are both safe and suitable.
Please be aware that large bags, backpacks (to include bota bags, wine-skins, and camelbacks), large purses, hard-sided containers or items larger than 8" x 11" will not be permitted. Allowable hand bags will be inspected prior to entrance.
In the event of a building emergency, the fire alarm system will be activated and participants and guests will be directed to move quickly and safely through designated corridors and out building exits.
The South Carolina Corps of Cadets Commencement Ceremony begins at 9 a.m. in McAlister Field House. Doors will open at 7:30 a.m., and guests arriving earlier than 7:30 a.m. will be asked to wait. Guests of the Corps of Cadets Commencement Ceremony are not permitted in Deas Hall.
The Citadel Graduate College Commencement Ceremony will begin promptly at 4 p.m. The doors will open at 2 p.m. Guests arriving earlier will be asked to wait. Following the ceremony there will be a reception in Deas Hall.
Although The Citadel does not anticipate any safety or security issues during commencement events, we ask for your increased vigilance and cooperation with measures we are taking to ensure the safety of students, faculty, staff and guests.
Please observe the following restrictions for all of The Citadel's commencement activities:
- No firearms, explosives or other weapons.
- No drugs or alcohol permitted, and person found to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol will be detained or escorted out of the field house.
- No artificial noise makers, air horns or megaphones.
- No large signs, flags, poles, banners or laser pointers.
- No animals — except assistance dogs — are allowed in any facility.
- No food or drink allowed, with the exception of bottled water or medical needs.
- No large bags, backpacks (to include bota bags, wine-skins, and camelbacks), large purses, hard-sided containers or items larger than 8" x 11". (Diaper bags are permitted if infant is present.)
- Security staff reserve the right to prohibit any other items deemed to be a security risk. In such cases, guests will not be allowed to bring those items inside the event venues.
If you note someone or something of a suspicious nature we request that you identify them or it to a uniformed Police Officer or campus official.
These policies are subject to change without notice.