Athletic facilities at The Citadel are among the finest in the Southern Conference. Home football games are played in historic Johnson Hagood Stadium. Originally built in 1948, the stadium is currently in the midst of a major revitalization project.
McAlister Field House, which houses the Athletic Department staff and several coaches’ offices, was built in 1939 and renovated in 1989. Seating 6,000 for Bulldog basketball games, McAlister Field House also serves as home of the volleyball team as well as the site for graduations, concerts and a variety of other events. New women’s locker rooms are currently being added to the Field House.
Next to McAlister Field House is Vandiver Hall which opened in 1991 and provides the Bulldog soccer, baseball, wrestling, golf, volleyball, cross-country and track and field teams with a modern and well-equipped facility. Dressing and locker rooms, a golf driving range, a wrestling room, and a baseball batting tunnel are a few of the features of Vandiver Hall. Seignious Hall, which is located directly behind Vandiver Hall, houses the football coaches’ offices and the football locker room, along with a top of the line training room. Also located in this facility are a spacious weight room and equipment room.
The Donald C. Bunch Courts at the Earle Tennis Center, site of the 2001 Southern Conference Men’s and Women’s Tennis Championships, receive a significant amount of play year-round. The men’s and women’s soccer teams utilize WLI Field along the Ashley River as well as Johnson Hagood Stadium while the track and field teams use a track surrounding one of the football team’s two practice fields.
In April 1997, The Citadel’s baseball team moved into the new, state-of-the-art Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park, located on the banks of the Ashley River. The 6,000-seat park, which serves as home of the annual Southern Conference Baseball Championship, features the Bulldog locker room, luxury suites, an indoor batting tunnel and a major league style matrix board. The Citadel utilizes nearby College Park as a practice site during the year.