The Citadel graduates nearly 400 and honors cadets and faculty
Today, Lt. Gen. John W. Rosa presided at his first Citadel commencement as president of The Military College of South Carolina. Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, delivered the commencement address.
Diplomas were presented to 397 active duty military students and members of the South Carolina Corps of Cadets. Six honorary degrees were awarded to distinguished individuals for their achievements in leadership, business and the military. In addition, four cadets and two faculty members were honored for their academic and teaching endeavors.
"I offer you my most sincere congratulations and best wishes for what you have done here at The Citadel and what you are about to do as you go out to serve your communities and our nation," Rosa told graduates gathered in McAlister Field House.
Here's is a summary of the awards presented. More detailed information is available at www.citadel.edu
- Stephen E. Buyer, Indiana congressman and Citadel Class of 1980. Doctor of Laws.
- John E. Courson, South Carolina senate education committee and insurance executive. Doctor of Public Administration.
- General Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Doctor of Military Science.
Carl Edward Renken, Sr., Class of 1958, attorney, boating and financial services executive. Doctor of Business Administration.
- Bishop William Jones Skilton, Class of 1962. Doctor of Divinity.
- Stanhope S. Spears, adjutant general of South Carolina. Doctor of Military Science.
- Cadet Thomas Edward Hill, Greenville, S.C.
- Psychology professor Dr. Conway F. Saylor
- Kyle S. Sinisi, associate professor of history.
- Cadet Tyler Gibbs, Sumter, S.C.
- First Honor Graduate - Cadet Larry M. Poole II, Danville, Ky.
- Second Honor Graduate - Cadet Nicholas Medica II, Lawrenceville, Ga.